Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The title of this blog

"Caleb, are you going to stay an Adventist all your life?" I was riding to Spokane with a friend, and he asked me this out of the gray (the sky wasn't really blue).

Will I be an Adventist all my life? What kind of Adventist, or Christian for that matter, am I?

I think I make people uneasy who like labels. "Caleb, what are you!" Or, as a pastor once asked me during a controversy with The Awakening, "Caleb, you need to decide whose side you are on."

So here it is: I am beginning to worry that if I open up completely to the people in my life that I love, they will decide I can't be on their side.

How much should I share? With my friends, my co-workers, the people who read this blog? If my Theology is different, can we still be friends? Why is it a problem that as I grow closer to Jesus and get to know him more, that I begin to love more people?

My friend Donny articulated it like this to me: "Caleb, it is like in high school. You hang out with a certain group, they like you; and then they see you in all the other cliques too, and they say to themselves "wait, I thought he was with us!"

I know this post is random. I promise to try and have subjects and cohesive thoughts in the future. But these are all the reasons I named my blog what I did: Why I am a . . .

Brian McLaren has a book entitled A Generous Orthodoxy: Why I Am a Missional, Evangelical, Post/Protestant, Liberal/Conservative, Mystical/Poetic, Biblical, Charismatic/Contemplative, Fundamentalist/Calvinist, Anabaptist/Anglican, Methodist, Catholic, Green, Incarnational, Depressed-yet-Hopeful, Emergent, Unfinished CHRISTIAN

I couldn't relate more, although I would definitely add Seventh-day Adventist, and it's not because I'm incredibly liberal and don't think Truth exists, it's because I care so much about Truth, and I can't bring myself to ignore Truth where I find it. Because after all, like Rob Bell says, "All Truth is God's Truth."

So there it is: Why I am a . . .

1 comment:

Becky said...

Wow. "You need to decide whose side you're on?" What?!? It's true when you're talking God vs. Satan, but not when you're deciding between PEOPLE. I can't believe a pastor said that to you. Anyway, this is a fascinating post. Keep on asking questions like this and keep on loving people.