Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Grad Schools

Some days it seems like all anyone wants to talk about: grad school. Which in my "profession" means seminary. The funny thing is that although lots of people think I should go there (especially traditional Adventists), I have never been told a reason to go other than that it is a good thing to do.

I have been in some kind of ministry leadership for going on six years, and I constantly feel unqualified, humbled, and generally amazed that I am blessed to be able to work with God on a daily basis and that people actually give me money to do this.

However, there has yet to be a time since I graduated with Theology from Walla Walla College in 2006 when I thought that what I was missing was more education. I'm sure it would do me some good, but I feel like the places I fall short and the things that are holding me back have little to nothing to do with a lack of education.

Dave Thomas, the dean of Theology at Walla Walla University, told me once that "The most important truths of the Bible are embarrassingly simple."

I am coming to agree with that statement more all the time.

The profound realization that learning to "walk with God" is one of the most complex and satisfying journeys you can ever begin.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

If you get a Master's though, just think of the perk of getting a longer signature. As in, you could write, Caleb Henry, M.S.(omething). AND THEN, if you got a PhD, my, my, my. THEN you could write, Caleb Henry, M.S.(omething, Ph.D. AND THEN, if you got a Special License of some sort, you could add that it there, too. Seriously, Caleb. Are you seriously considering the perks here? ;) Bless you. Where's my stir fry? Just joking.

David Hamstra said...

Just stumbled on your blog today. Here's something I posted awhile back that may resonate:

Kristopher Loewen said...

I have learned far more in my past 2 years of full-time church leadership than I did in my years of college. I wonder if this has to do with the 'delivery' of the education, not the education itself.
I wonder if seminary was not based in a classroom - but structured around the way that Jesus taught (discipleship/mentorship) - it would be far more helpful and effective.
*Sigh*

Caleb said...

So true Kris! I am agreeing more and more with that sentiment every day.